Australia Day Q & A
How did you go with the Australia day pop quiz ?
Here are the answers to last nights quiz.
AUSTRALIAN TRIVIA - Questions and Answers
1. Which horse won the Melbourne Cup in 2002?
2. What was Sir Donald Bradman’s batting average?
3. Who is Australia’s only Formula One driver?
4. Who won the Brownlow Medal in 2003?
5. Who was the most recent Australian to win the men’s singles title at Wimbledon?
6. Which Australian was named the most valuable player in the US’s WNBA?
7. Which Australian has won the FIM World Motorcycle Championship 5 times?
8. How many gold medals did Australians win at the 2002 Winter Olympic Games?
9. Of our Australian male swimmers, who has won the most Olympic gold medals?
10. What Australian company is the largest surfwear manufacturer?
1. Media Puzzle
3. Mark Webber
4. Mark Ricciuto, Nathan Buckley, Adam Goodes
5. Lleyton Hewitt
6. Lauren Jackson
7. Michael Doohan
8. 2 – Steven Bradbury and Alisa Camplin
9. Murray Rose
1. How many countries are larger than Australia?
2. In what state/territory was the highest recorded temperature, of 53oC, recorded?
3. Australia has the world’s largest sand island. What is its name?
4. In what year was Advance Australia Fair proclaimed as the national anthem by the
5. Do all states/territories have the same blood alcohol limit for non-probationary drivers?
6. What animal is on the Western Australia flag?
7. In what city did the Commonwealth Parliament first sit?
8. What animal featured on the 2 cent coin?
9. Who is the only person to have been awarded both the Australian of the Year and Young
Australian of the Year titles?
10. Who is on the front of the current issue $100 note?
1. Five (Australia is the sixth largest country: Russia, Canada, China, USA, Brazil)
3. Fraser Island
6. Black swan
8. Frilled neck lizard
9. Cathy Freeman
10. Dame Nellie Melba
Arts and Literature
1. Who designed the Sydney Opera House?
2. How many albums did the late slim Dusty record?
3. Who painted the Nebuchadnezzar series?
4. Who wrote “Cloudstreet”?
5. In what year did the Australian National Gallery open?
6. Which band has received an Australian of the Year Award?
7. Who was the first Australian to win the Booker Prize?
8. Who was the subject of the 2003 Archibald Prize winning portrait?
9. Who is the lead singer of Silverchair?
10. Who has an award-winning album is titled Barricades and Brickwalls?
1. Joern Utzon
3. Arthur Boyd
4. Tim Winton
6. The Seekers
7. Thomas Keneally
8. Richard Flanagan
9. Daniel Johns
10. Casey Chambers
History and Science
1. How many ships were in the First Fleet?
2. What year did Cyclone Tracy hit Darwin?
3. Who invented the bionic ear?
4. Where was Ned Kelly’s last stand?
5. Who was Australia’s first Aboriginal Senator?
6. What date did “new” parliament house open?
7. Which Australian promised to “Go all the way with LBJ”?
8. In what year was gold first discovered in Victoria and NSW to begin the “Gold Rush”?
9. Which Australian won a Nobel Prize for immune defence research?
10. In what year was decimal currency introduced?
3. Professor Graeme Clark
5. Neville Bonner
6. 9th May, 1988
7. Prime Minister, Harold Holt
9. Professor Peter Doherty
1. What were the first names of the winning couple from The Block?
2. What is the highest grossing Australian movie?
3. Who is the longest serving presenter of Playschool?
4. What three movies are part of Baz Luhrmann’s “Red Curtain Trilogy”?
5. Who are the actors who play Kath and Kim?
6. Cate Blanchett has received an Academy Award nomination for what movie?
7. What Australian movie includes the phrase “Tell him he’s dreaming”?
8. What song played during Scott and Charlene’s wedding on Neighbours?
9. Which actor has had leading roles in Pharlap, The Man from Snowy River and Eureka
10. Who won consecutive Gold Logie’s from 1997 to 2000?
1. Fiona and Adam
2. Crocodile Dundee
4. Strictly Ballroom, Romeo and Juliet, and Moulin Rouge
5. Jane Turner and Gina Riley
7. The Castle
9. Tom Burlinson
10. Lisa McCune
1. Name Australia’s western-most point?
2. How much of Australia is classified as desert A) 8% B) 16% C) 25% D) 35%
3. Which is the second largest city in NSW?
4. In what state/territory is the Brisbane Ranges National Park?
5. The Tamar River flows to which Tasmanian town/city?
6. What is the tallest waterfall in Australia?
7. What is the longest river in the Northern Territory?
8. The landmark Katu Tjuta is also known as what?
9. What is Australia’s largest non-salt lake?
10. What is South Australia’s largest island?
1. Steep Point (Shark Bay)
2. D - 35%
6. Wallaman Falls, QLD
8. The Olgas
9. Lake Mackay, WA
10. Kangaroo Island
1. In rhyming slang, if someone said they we going to have a “bo-peep”, what they be
2. Australians hold the world record for which amazing feat? A) Fastest Beer bottle opening
B) Largest Christmas Cracker C) Most Sheep Sheared in 24 hours D) Largest Chicken
3. What is Kylie Minogue’s lingerie line called?
4. Where is the Big Prawn?
5. Approximately how many rabbits are there in Australia today? A) 3 million B) 30 million
C) 300 million D) 3,000 million.
6. What was the name of Olivia Newton-John’s chain of clothing stores?
7. What outback town’s population swells from 120 to crowds of over 5000 for a racing
8. Which of the following is not an Australian innovation? A) Chiko Roll B) Lawn Sprinkler C)
Plastic bank notes D) Dual flush toilet E) Wine Cask?
9. What creature does Jana Pittman have tattooed on her body?
10. The Idiot Fruit and Darling Peas are poisonous, True or False?
1. Having a sleep
2. B - Largest Christmas Cracker
3. Love Kylie
5. C - 300 million
6. Koala Blue
8. B - Lawn sprinkler
Brought to you by