Sunday, November 8, 2009

Neil Young is Our Guest Musician this week

Neil Young



Friday music on Sunday ?? I found an oldie but a goodie Neil Young is 64 this week and I found a video from way back so Ross Major I'm sure you are on a header this week but you can enjoy this when you get a chance.

Birth name : Neil Percival Young
Also known : as Bernard Shakey, Phil Perspective, Shakey Deal, Clyde Coil, Shakey, Joe Yankee
Born :
November 12, 1945 (1945-11-12) (age 63)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Origin : Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

According to Wikipedia :


Neil Percival Young[1], OM (born November 12, 1945) is a Canadian singer-songwriter, musician and film director. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist in 1995 and also as a member of Buffalo Springfield in 1997.[2]

Young's work is characterized by deeply personal lyrics, distinctive guitar work,[3][4] and signature[5] tenor singing voice. Although he accompanies himself on several different instruments—including piano and harmonica, his clawhammer acoustic guitar style and often idiosyncratic electric guitar soloing are the linchpins of a sometimes ragged, sometimes polished sound. Although Young has experimented widely with differing music styles, including swing, jazz, rockabilly, blues, and electronic music throughout a varied career, his best known work usually falls into either of two distinct styles: acoustic folk/country ("Heart of Gold", "Harvest Moon" and "Old Man") and electric-charged hard rock (like "Cinnamon Girl", "Rockin' in the Free World" and "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)").

"Old Man" is a song written and performed by Neil Young on his 1972 album Harvest.

The song was written for the caretaker of the northern-California Broken Arrow Ranch, which Young purchased for $350,000 in 1970. The song compares a young man's life to an old man's and shows that the young man has, to some extent, the same needs of the old one. James Taylor played six-string banjo (tuned like a guitar) and sang on the song, and Linda Ronstadt also contributed vocals.

In the movie Heart of Gold, Young introduces the song as follows:

About that time when I wrote [ Heart of Gold ], and I was touring, I had also -- just, you know, being a rich hippie for the first time -- I had purchased a ranch, and I still live there today. And there was a couple living on it that were the caretakers, an old gentleman named Louis Avala and his wife Clara. And there was this old blue Jeep there, and Louis took me for a ride in this blue Jeep. He gets me up there on the top side of the place, and there's this lake up there that fed all the pastures, and he says, "Well, tell me, how does a young man like yourself have enough money to buy a place like this?" And I said, "Well, just lucky, Louie, just real lucky." And he said, "Well, that's the darndest thing I ever heard." And I wrote this song for him.

Here is a video recorded in the 70's of that song.






If video stop/starts, press pause to let it load.

Brought to you by

http://www.grahamereesblog.com/



No comments: