Thursday, November 5, 2009

Your Future is Determined Your Daily Habits

Today my Wednesday guest Mick Cornish writes about how our future is determined by our daily habits.

G’day there folks,
On any given day, most of what we do, we do without thinking about it … it’s called habit. Daily life tends to run on a familiar, comfortable routine and the end result? Actions and choices that will either help or hinder our ability to move towards the life we want.

For example, habitually eating a balanced lunch has long-term positive consequences. As does eating greasy beer battered chips washed down with a couple of beers! Both choices get their own results but if we are to succeed then we must examine our daily habits and ensure that they are giving us the results we want.

Successful people carefully select even their simplest habits with the future consequences in mind. Believe it or not, our success or failure is largely due to the long-term effect of our daily choices. It is up to us to use the daily opportunities we are given to build our future.

So the question begs to be asked; “what can I do to develop daily habits that will create the life I aspire to live?”

Well, the first thing to do is examine what your current habits are and ask yourself if they are helping to create the life you want. If they are, that’s great. If not, perhaps it is time to create some new habits. And one way to identify “good” habits is to set clear goals. Chances are you already have goals for the future – so take a fresh look at these and break them down into simple and repeatable daily actions.

As a coach and mentor to my clients, I encourage them to make some fundamental decisions about the habits they want in their lives. They need to be clear and specific, and the client needs to be committed to each of them or they won’t last.

For example, even before my wife and I became parents we vowed that if we were to have kids, they would always have at least one of us at home with them. So throughout the infant years and now in the school years our son has always had either my wife or I at home. Has our decision had a positive impact on our family? Bloody oath! Has this decision affected our ability to generate income? Once again…bloody oath! And this very same decision has also presented us with opportunities we would have missed if we weren’t committed to it.

You see, having the clarity of our goals has brought us opportunities to form a habit. And what habit is it? The ability to say “NO” to opportunities which do not meet our lifestyle goals.

Like it or not, the results we get are, in essence, a collection of our daily habits. More often than not, our habits make us feel comfortable but can actually prevent us from reaching our goals. To become wildly successful, we must eliminate the habits that are holding us back and replace them with ones that help us to create the future we aspire to live.

Finally, I’m leaving you with the following poem to ponder, which has been shared with me by a mentor of mine.

I am your constant companion.

I am your greatest helper or your heaviest burden.

I will push you up or pull you down.

I am at your command.

Half of your tasks can be given to me and

I will do them quickly and correctly.

I am easily managed.

After a few lessons, I will do what you ask,

sometimes even before you ask it.

I am a servant of all great people

and the regret of all failures.

I am not a machine but work with

equal precision.

You can run me however you like.

Train me and I will lay the world at

your feet.

Be easy with me and I will destroy you

I AM HABIT

Cheers and good health!

Mick Cornish

http://www.campfirecoaching.com/

Campfire Coaching Seminar - Orange 24 -25 November.

No comments: